Friday 19 November 2010

Is it over really?



2,804 kilometres.

Over a period of 8 days.

From Chennai (southern part of India) to Gurgaon (northern India).

On a car-carrier weighing 28 tonnes.

With Hyundai's i10 vehicles. Eight in number. Four over four in two tier format.

Umesh Kumar Rana (29 years) at the steering and Pinto Kumar Sau (21 years) as his deputy.

Both hailing from the mineral rich Jharkhand state.

Passed through the states of Tamil Nadu, Kanataka, Maharastra, Gujarat, Rajasthan and Haryana.

What did I witness?

First the positives:

India is on a big move.

I can confidently say, "watch your highways to feel the pulse of the nation".

Honestly I am glad the Indian economy is literally on a roll.

Secondly, the nation is pretty young. Why do I say this?

A majority of drivers whom I meet over this 8-day odyssey are definitely in late 20s and ealy 30s.

The kind of Over Dimensional Cargo (ODC) I saw trundling on Indian roads gives a feeling of what India is upto. Boilers, windmasts, turbines, etc.

A big pat on NHAI's back. Lovely, broad roads.

Yes, there is a massive construction in the new or broading of existing ones is in full swing.

Must have crossed over 40 odd Toll Gates operated and managed by private sector. Amazing efficiency.

The highest Toll (user fee) paid in this trip was for the Pune-Mumbai Expressway - Rs.946.

There is always scope for improvement.

Now, the saddest part: the negatives.

The state machinery is corrupt.

AT every inter state border, I personally interacted or transacted with Commercial Tax and RTO officials and paid - yes, paid bribe - to ensure my truck's smooth passage.

The Mumbai crossing (from Panvel in Maharashtra to Ghodbunder) was the cesspot of hooliganism by state machinery. Knowingly or unknowningly.

These people behave like road mafia with private sector participation.

I personally witnessed the 3-4 hour long orchestrated congestation by Bruhan Mumbai oficials to extract their pound of flesh from illiterate driver who are physically tired.

I planto write letters to all state chief ministers/secretaries and the federal government.

Enough of this highhandedness.

Transporters are the backbone of our - for that matter - any nation.

If these unkempt, ugly and illiterate drivers decided not to ignite their engines, Mr Prime Minister, all your dream about building u a powerful nation,will come to a naught.

I feel cheated and irritated by the harsh treatment meted to the transporters at inter state borders.

If highways remain empty, Sir, neither raw materials will reach assembly plants nor the finished goods (whatever it may be - be it a car, textile, chemicals, oil etc) will reach the end user.

My eyes have welled up.

I can't see my desktop screen clearly.

So, here I stop.

For the time being...

No comments:

Post a Comment