Monday 29 October 2012

On Road In North East India-3



NORTH NOTEPAD: The Assam Tribune is the most trusted and venerable English daily in this region. But a dull and boring newspaper. Times of India is thinner than the waist of the slimmest catwalker. Even thinner than its Classified sections in  Delhi/Mumbai editions. The Sentinel is much talked about, but have not seen in people's hands or in newsstands much. Seven Sisters Post is laughed away as the paper meant for people passing through Guwahati airport! Telegraph is definitely a better option with a separate Guwahati pull out. "If your news has not appeared in Tribune, then the incident has not happened!" says a senior bureaucrat in the Assam government. That's the kind of clout AT enjoys. I wish every Tribune in every country/region enjoys that reputation!



NORTHEAST NOTEPAD: Monalisa Borakoty is an ex-colleague and a TV/print journalist worked with me in early 2000s in Delhi. She did a 2 years' MBA from Singapore University, came back with a lot of hopes to switch profession. Circumstances beyond her control uprooted this young and charming do-gooder from Delhi and sent her back to her hometown, Guwahati. This single mother with a 6 year old daughter has settled down as Regional Head for a financial multiproduct enterprise. Yes, she does miss Dwarka, her abode in Delhi for almost a decade. Does she like to be back in national capital? Nope. Family first. God bless you, Mona!



NORTHEAST NOTEPAD: What am I offered when I visit the Horticulture department of Assam government? A bunch of bananas. "Absolutely nectar! You will not get it anywhere in the world. Unique variety," tells officials while thrusting the bunch into my hands. Tempted to finish off th entire bunch, but the image of my spouse Kala Ramesh dangles before my eyes who will kill me even if I am seen with bananas. It is strictly a 'no-no' as a diabetic. Yet, I take a bite to please my hosts. Have I not tasted similar bananas in my hometown, Tamilnadu? Yes. India, incidentally, is the largest producer of banana. Remembered Prashanti Pandit's witty and imaginary dialogue that opens my forthcoming "Naked Banana!" Yes PP, bananas never feel 'lonely' because they hang in bunches!

No comments:

Post a Comment