Monday 16 May 2011

ROADTRIP: Some Images

Over the past 12 days, while on the national highways, a few images stuck to my retina. Could not forget them. Here they are.



This hill, I am 100 per cent sure won't remain ten years down the line. It is already been earmarked as "Zawar Mines". It is waiting to be uprooted - literally. This reminded me of the quite disappearance of several hills dotting the city landscape of Muscat. As part of development, many vanished. Many more will go kaput soon in Muscat as well.

Is this a price we have to pay?

Will we reach a stage when our great grandchildren will have to be shown mountains on photos?

***



I always salute the Gujarati enterprise. This is a set of women who "man" - nay, "woman" the kitchen at Rinku Commercial Carriers at Anand, Gujarat. Everyone from the top brass eat their lunch cooked in this kitchen.

While these women roll their pins, flip rotis on gas stove and dice vegetables and cook rice and boil lentils, their children play on the ground below.

The idea is to serve fresh food to all in this campus. Including the security guards.
Nothing revolutionary no doubt, but the concern for others is what appeals to me.

***



Though windmills are part of Karnataka landscape - particularly in the Chitradurga region, this time, I noticed a group of windmasts while crossing Belgaum.

Development hungry India needs a lot of energy. Coal and thermal alone cant meet this requirement. That is where non-conventional energy kicks in.

***




Look at this. From a mile away on the Udaipur ghat section, you simply cannot escape noticing this Vodafone signage! Nothing can take away its positioning.

***




Four crew members caught up on Dharwad city entry gate. These two crew were moving in opposite direction: one to Salem (on which I was travelling) and the other one to Gujarat carrying Tafe's Massey Ferguson tractors. We were carting Mahindra's Arjun Ultra.

Since entry into Dharwad city will not open for heavy vehicles till 10 in the night, we halted. The Gujarat-bound halted seeing their colleagues. For the next 3-4 hours - all of them hailing from Pratapgarh, Uttar Pradesh got into animated conversations. By the way, they bought several kilos of alphonso mango for taking home. I could not touch one! My foot, diabetes is the spoilsport!

***




It was around 7 a.m. I spotted this Rajput on a horse slowly trotting towards Rajsamand. I kept on clicking him at various distances. When I framed him against the Mercurio Pallia 22 metre car carrier as the backdrop, my joy knew no bounds. I liked the composition.

***



I always like tunnels because of darkness. This one - 1.5 km long Katraj tunnel after crossing Pune city made me happy. It was cool inside while the mercury outside was hovering around 40 degrees celsius.

***



No word can describe the beauty of mother and child combo. This was shot at Bhim village, 100 km away from Ajmer at Driver Vikram Singh's village where I stayed one night. Under the open sky with stars on a moonless night. The wild insects caused such a havoc on my exposed body that I had to go for medical attention at Halol and jump out of Mercurio Pallia car carrier.

***



Tragedy also brings a bit of melancholy. Having lost all my belongings at Kolhapur, with Driver Zubaidar Khan in tow, we kept wandering in search of those lost items. The day was breaking. For a while I forgot about my loss, and began looking at this beautiful sun rise.

***



After a very long time, saw hen and chicken in public place. Tell me, when was the last time you saw a live hen and chicken at play? These birds were strutting around a roadside dhaba near Surat where we halted for brushing teeth and morning tea.

***



Shot on the Bombay Pune Expressway.

***



Near Belgaum saw these small houses on the hillock painted with Airtel promos. But from a distance these houses looked like rocks and the memories of Pepsi/Coke painting the rocks in Manali/Kulu a few years ago which caused a nationwide consternation forcing courts to move in and making the culprits to restore rocks to their original status.

Lucky these were homes, but some rocks!

1 comment:

  1. some real nice shots....my work takes me on highways lot of times(right now working on 6 highways projects!!)...and i have seen lots of interesting stuff on the roads and the real India!!!

    ReplyDelete